Salary: Highly negotiable
- Degree in Geology, Engineering Geology or Mining Engineering.
- COM Strata Control Certificate.
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience in and knowledge of the Geotechnical / Underground Mining field.
- Software skills in CAD and database management (Intermediate).
- Computer Literacy and Microsoft Office Suite.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Co-ordinate and implement designated Geotechnical programs taking cognisance of Geotechnical standards/objectives/targets and ensure compliance with statutory requirements.
- Provide Geotechnical Engineering expertise and skills within area of responsibility.
- Collect and interpret Geotechnical data in accordance with standards.
- Engage internal and external stakeholders on Geotechnical Engineering related matters as required.
- Participate in draw control meetings to ensure adherence to draw compliance.
- Inclusion of penalties on substandard support prior to the circulation of support certificates for signature.
- Monitor performance of new support elements undergoing trials and prepare reports.
- Sampling of underground support units for testing at external laboratories.
- Production level tunnel condition/stability/support and rock mass damage monitoring and mapping. Monitoring of brow wear in draw and loading points.
- Provide test results and quality assurance of rock support in underground excavations.
- Monitor and report on adherence to support standards.
- Provide quality control and assurance of geotechnical core logging.
- Maintain Geotechnical records, databases and statistics in the designated area, advising line managers of any deviations and anomalies.
- Installation, of specialised geotechnical instrumentation, reading, collation of data, analysis and interpretation of monitoring data.
- Prepare Geotechnical Inspection Reports and Instruction Notes.
- Prepare technical reports on performance of new support elements.
- Geotechnical Report writing aligned with standards, guidelines and schedules.
- Maintenance and calibration of geotechnical equipment.
- Coordinate required assistance from other mining department as per site preparation note for the installation of specific monitoring system
- Provide input into the departmental budget. Responsible for the generation of cost saving ideas.
- Model behaviour that is consistent with the Company Safety, Health and Environment Vision and Values. Manage and report on non-compliance issues.
- Take cognisance of and adhere to Company policies, procedures and relevant legislation. Manage and report on non-compliance issues.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships and an effective / sound communication system within the operation.
- Train and mentor junior staff.
- Supervise subordinates in the designated area.
- Effective Team Player and Effective Self-Management.
- Undertake geotechnical mapping.
- Write technical reports to the required quality.
- Undertake geotechnical core logging.
- Analyse monitoring data trends and provide feedback.
- Knowledge of available numerical modelling packages and their functions.
- Draft support recommendations.
- Geotechnical specific modelling software (i.e. Itasca and RocScience).
- Professional Association affiliation (e.g. SANIRE).
- Leadership Development Programme (LDP) or equivalent qualification.
- 3D Geological and Block Modelling experience.
- 2 Papers completed for Chamber of Mines Certificate in Rock Mechanics – please attach proof of completion
Kindly apply on Pnet or Indeed or on our website fspersonnel.co.za